Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A little DIY....Giraffe Growth Chart

I've been wanting to make Sadie a growth chart for a while now and I finally got around to making it. It was actually pretty simple to make and I am pleased with the results. All it took was some pieces of cardboard, paint and some ribbon.

Do you want to make one also?? Then follow these simple instructions:

Materials:
-Several pieces of small cardboard or one long piece of cardboard or sturdy paper, such as cardstock
-Paint (I used acrylic paints in pink and brown)
-Measuring tape
-Ribbon
-Pencils, Pens and Markers

Step 1: Measure




Decide how tall you want your growth chart to be. Mine was a little over 6ft but I only measured up to 6ft. Take your measuring tape and mark off the inches with a pen or pencil.

Step 2: Draw






Decide what kind of design you want on your growth chart. The theme for Sadie's room is giraffe print so I went with a giraffe. You can either free hand draw your design or find a stencil. I found a picture of a giraffe online that I liked and free hand drew it.

Step 3: Paint





Decide what colors you want to paint your growth chart with. I went with pink and brown because those are the colors for Sadie's room. I also used acrylic paint. I think that paint is a little more sturdier and last longer. Paint your design.

Step 4: Finish the measuring



Use paint or a marker to make the inch lines darker and extend them as far out as you would like. Also, don't forget to write out the numbers for each "foot" (1ft, 2ft, 3ft, etc...)

Step 5: Finishing up




Because I used several different pieces of cardboard I decided to attach mine together with ribbon. Punch holes in the top and bottom corners of each piece that is going to be attached. Cut out ribbon in the length desired and tie each piece of cardboard together. If desired, punch a hole in the top piece of cardboard and tie a ribbon also for easy hanging.

Step 6: Hang your growth chart and admire your work!



I simply used a clear tac to hang the chart with and then I used one of the sticky pieces from those damage free hanging hooks to secure the bottom with. Stand back and enjoy your craftiness!!

No comments:

Share