Monday, August 27, 2012

Show and Tell: Marriage

                                               

Today I am linking up with Becky over at FromMrs.toMama.com again for a fun link up about marriage and weddings!! Go link up!!







1. Are you married? If so when did you get married, and tell us about your special day. If not? How would you describe your dream wedding


Very happily married. Corey and I have been married for a little over 2 years. We got married on May 1, 2010 at our church. It wasn't a huge wedding but it wasn't small either and the total cost was only $3,000. Our ceremony site was at our church and it was perfect. I wouldn't have wanted to get married anywhere else and we had our reception at a rec hall that a friend of ours owned. Our ceremony included traditional vows, written vows, a sand ceremony and my sister singing for us. We had 7 groomsmen, 6 bridesmaids, 1 flower girl and 2 ring bearers, so yes, a HUGE wedding party. I think we had a little over 150 guests. The colors were emerald green and black, with a little bit of yellow because I had to have yellow roses for my bouquet! Our reception was a dessert reception only, so lots of sweets!! It was just a beautiful day!


2. Show us some wedding pictures. Either yours or of some that you love.




3. How about the engagement? Tell us your story. If not engaged, what's your dream proposal?

I love our engagement story. Corey proposed to me in church, in the middle of the sermon. He wrote out "Will you marry me?" on my arm with his finger. At first I thought he was joking around but then I remembered he said that he would ask me if he was going to be serious about it so then I got really nervous. I didn't give him an answer right away and then all through lunch I couldn't eat. He finally asked me during lunch what my response was and I said yes! We kept it quiet because he didn't have a ring yet and we wanted to wait till we had one so that night we looked online and we ordered one. The ring came the friday after he originally asked me so I forced him to come up to my house (we lived 3 hours away from each other) so I could have it. I guess I ruined other plans that he had been planning for me but he came up anyways. We went for a walk around the block and when we came back there were signs that said Come this way and keep walking and there were rose petals all over the ground. He got down on one knee and proposed again, in the middle of my driveway, with the ring. My sister was hiding in the car so she was able to get pictures of it all!


 
 

4. Show us your wedding rings or an engagement photo! If not engaged/married ... show us your "dream" ring.


5. Tell us why you think marriage doesn't work out for so many? What can we do to make things last?
Well I am a Baptist and I believe that God needs to be the center of your marriage. With God you can get through anything. I think that many people who get married don't believe that it should last forever. They view it as a temporary thing with divorce as always an option and I think many people take the easy way out instead of trying to work through the hard times. Nobody ever said marriage was easy and it takes a lot of work. I also believe that people go into marriage thinking it will fix existing problems already in their relationship and then when it doesn't they just decide that marriage isn't for them. 
 I believe that if you are honest and communicate and have love and respect for your spouse then you can make it work. You have to be willing to put in the effort to get through the problems and the hard times and to always be there, supporting and encouraging your spouse. You have to be willing to never give up on your marriage.




2 comments:

Rachel said...

We also had a $3000 max wedding budget...and only ended up spending $2300, it's true that you can have a nice wedding and lots of people without spending too much! Yours looks beautiful!

Jessica said...

Love this...so glad me and Stephen were in your wedding party...it was a beautiful day and i am so glad God brought you and Corey together xoxoxo

Share